Search This Blog

Saturday, November 19, 2011

You Had Me at Cornbread

Last night was tough with wind gusting from the south at 35+ mph, rattling the garage door in the cabin room that is now the girl's bedroom.
When we ordered the 14x 32 building we thought we could build loft sleeping space for the girls.  The 10x14 apace that is now their bedroom was intended to house the UTV.  Once we saw the building (and our 16 year old's reaction to climbing into the loft) the plans began to change.
Now we wish the French doors that we are planning to replace the overhead door with were here already.  The noise of the rattling kept us up all night.
So I was cooking breakfast little later this morning than I had planned.
We had a busy day of deck building planned so I wanted breakfast to be quick.  I am very happy with my new camp chef stove and the griddle plate I bought to go with it.  So eggs and Bacon this morning were a snap.
Now I don't eat carbs, but I always serve them to my family.  Yesterday I made cornbread for breakfast and saves the leftover for today. 
Marissa appeared an the front porch while I was frying Bacon and inquired about the menu.  I mentioned that I had saved yesterday's leftover cornbread and how it could be warmed...
"You had me at cornbread" she interrupted.  I laughed then wondered if she had even seen Jerry McGuire.
It was a good day, but that moment with her clever comment on the front porch may have been the highlight.
Or perhaps it was driving the UTV with loads of dirt to repair the road to the dam with Steph at the wheel.
Or maybe it is sitting inside right now with all of us devouring the ribs that Alan cooked on the big green egg while waiting for the football game to start.  What a good and simple life.

We bought the Camp Chef to complete our outdoor kitchen

No comments:

Post a Comment